Tuesday 20 March 2012

Lyrcists

Just heard that Jon Anderson was going to present a series on 'lyricists' for Planet Rock. Nearly fell out of my Danish Modern Chair. Jon Anderson, possitively the WORST.....'down by the water' Jon Anderson, 'Olias of Sunhillow' (yes I've got it) Jon Anderson! That 'I was IN THE BAND and I didn't know what we were singing about' (Rick Wakeman) Jon Anderson! After Niel Pert of Rush, possitively the worst jingle jangle in middle earth doodler of all time, presenting on 'LYRICISTS!' Then I realized they meant Ian Anderson, of Jethro Tull, and for a moment I sighed a sigh of relief and thought...fine....and then I went IAN ANDERSON!!!!, that fucking idiot playing laird of the manor somewhere in SCOTLAND! (Scotland as a country appears to generate more worse lyrics than any other country, take anything by plonkers BIG COUNTRY) Surely not! All that heavy horses and slap on your jodpurs nonsense, THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT! Now a good lyricist is somebody, as Chuck Klosterman points out, who can rhyme 'Texas' 'taxes', and 'facts is', in the same verse (Steve Miller- take the Money and Run) OR somebody so pretentious, like Lloyd Cole singing about Charlotte St, making a record I still like listening to because I can still feel the haircut that went with it.
Of course "We're going to rock n roll all night and party every day' is as near as perfect a rock n roll lyric as anybody needs, and that's from KISS. So is 'Love Gun'.
My favourite is 'It's only Rock n Roll'..but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment