Sunday 31 October 2010

Short story

If I were sitting in the sunshine of a 1944 afternoon, knowing I was going to bomb the shit out of people I didn't even know over Germany that evening, if I were the bomb aimer (USA) or the captain (UK) and knew I had control of this flying hunk of death delivery over the 'target', and if were an intelligent chap who was browsing Nietzsche that afternoon with thoughts on bigger things and the abyss of it all, wouldn't it have been a temptation to drift that baby right over that cathedral and blow that to bits? This is a short story that has to be written.
(Bomb aimers had charge of US planes over the target, this was unthinkable for the British, where the captain was always in charge)

1 comment:

  1. First rule of air combat - never bomb a landmark, then you can find your way back there and bomb the area again. Answers your question.

    ReplyDelete